Hi guys,

after my previous mail on AP handling, here is a second mail about Transaction management in ApacheDS.

As LDAP guarantee that every operation made on an entry is ACID, we have a problem when such an operation impact more than one entry. This is typically the case for AP, if we decide to modify the selected entries immediately, but not only.

A new RFC has been issued (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5805) which expose a way to implement transactions, it may be time to think about it for a future 2.0-Mx version.

In any case, we have to have a solution that guarantees that we can update 2 entries and have a server in a stable state, even if one of the updates fails, or if the server crashes in the middle of the operations.

In fact, we need two things :
- external transactions, as described by the RFC
- internal transactions for our technical reads

(once we have the internal transaction, exposing them to the user should be just a matter of adding a control).

Note that I don't have the complete fields covered here, it's pretty new to me, and this was just a matter of starting a discussion on this matter.

Thoughts?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com