Hi,

we have had some convo about the Dn methods last night. Here are some of the things we discussed and came with :

o the getPrefix(N)/getSuffix(N) are cumbersome, and not easy to manipulate. The main issue is that they depend on the RDN order, which is the opposite as what people are used to manipulate. Everytime you have to get a prefix from a Dn, you always wonder what the position should be, and if it's 0 based or 1 based...

We propose to replace those methods by getParent(Dn) and getDescendant(Dn). Let me give you an example :

// A DN
Dn dn = new Dn( "cn=test,ou=server,ou=directory,dc=apache,dc=org" );

// Get the right part (equivalent to getprefix( 2 ) )
Dn parent = dn.getParent( "cn=test,ou=server,ou=directory" ); // returns "dc=apache,dc=org"

// Get the left part (equivalent to getSuffix( 3 ))
Dn descendant = dn.getDescendant( "ou=directory,dc=apache,dc=org" ); // returns "cn=test,ou=server"

o The Add method is a bit annoying to remove, because first, the JNDI Name interface has such a method, and people are used to it, second removing it means we have to add some more constructors line Dn( Dn, Rdn... ). I agree that someone doing something like :

Dn dn = new Dn( "dc=apache,dc=org" );
dn.add( "ou=directory" );

will expect that the dn is now "ou=directory,dc=apache,dc=org", when it's unchanged.

This is really troublesome... What about rename it concatenate() ?

Thoughts ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com