Hi Richard,

On 5/12/11 6:17 PM, Richard Evans wrote:
I'm running a 1.5.8 snapshot freshly built from trunk-with-dependencies.  I'm
set up access controls and am trying to define the 'enable search for all
users' ACI entry as explained in the online docs.
<snip/>

This looks a bit like DIRSERVER-1524.  Have I created the Aci entry correctly
for trunk code?
This is exactly the problem. It has been fixed in trunk. Otherwise, your entries are perfectly fine.
A couple of other related queries:

1. With access controls enabled, I can't connect anonymously to the RootDSE -
do I need another Aci entry for this?
Yes. RootDSE is also controlled by access controls rules.
2. Attempting a search as a test user, I would expect searches to fail with an
error, instead I just get no results.  Is this intentional?
Depends on the LDAP API you are using. In any case, if you check the ResultCode, you should have a *insufficientAccessRights* error (or something similar)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com