Le 02/07/15 11:14, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> Hi Yaning,
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Xu, Yaning <yaning...@intel.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Kiran,
>>

>> 1.       The administrator may need to list all principal names, and then
>> use the principal name he is interested in to get the Identity;
>>
>> 2.      There may be too many principals to scan at once, so the system
>> may need to get only a part of them at once, as Stefan pointed out;
>>
>> 3.       We need to make Kerby compatible to Krb5, and it has implemented
>> this interface as list_principals
>> http://web.mit.edu/KERBEROS/krb5-1.12/doc/admin/admin_commands/kadmin_local.html
>> ;
>>
> ic, so here is the case, it is mainly for the kadmin client and I would
> prefer if kadmin takes care of
> sorting and paginating after retrieving the principals rather than
> offloading this to backends.
>
> The primary reasons is not all stores that are used by IdentityBackends may
> support sorting or
> pagination, for example not all LDAP servers support sorting and many
> database libraries do not
> support pagination(this is a client thing).
>
> I would like to propose an alternative design:
>
> Add search functionality to the IdentityBackend, i.e it accepts a search
> pattern and return a Cursor
> then kadmin will browse this cursor and prepares a suitable view of
> principals.
> We can have a search limit in this interface but we don't need a start
> position cause the client can
> navigate using Cursor (when the cursor implementation supports).

I tend to disagree with Kiran, here.

If a server does not support 'sort' and 'paged search', then there is no
mean to use it as a backend. AFAICT, most of the existing LDAP server on
the market support both controls.

In any case, don't implement it on the client side : with millions and
candidate, it will not only be slow, but it will also eat a hell lot of
memory.