On 10/04/2017 01:47 PM, Lothar Haeger wrote:

A general solution (solving a lot of other use cases as a side effect) would be
to implement a generic color/font/format coding feature. Let users define ldap
searches and assign formatting styles to those objects that match. Could be
strikethrough font, font/background color, object icon, watever.

In a second step, pre-defined filter/formatting sets implementing common useful
scenario's (like the one Graham posted) could be delivered with Studio so user
can just enable them if needed. Those delivered sets would also double as
example code and templates for custom needs.

Well, that would be only a partial solution anyway. Displaying disabled users using a different style is not that useful if you cannot enable or disable them. And that won't be easy to implement unless Studio really understands how the enable/disable mechanism works.

However, as far as I understand, Studio is LDAP editor. It is not a replacement for identity management system. What we usually do is that we manage LDAP content from a real IDM system. IDM can understand how the users are enabled, disabled, when to create them, delete them, disable them, assign to groups and so on. I do not think that Studio will ever have an ambition to do this. E.g. there are at least three different ways how to manage groups in LDAP. All of them are standard, but they are mutually incompatible. And there are even more non-standard ways how to manage groups, organizations, roles, etc. Managing content of generic LDAP directory is really a job for quite a sophisticated system.

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect