> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A few remarks :
>
> - signatures on dist should not supply a SHA1 signature (neither a MD5),
> SHA256 or/and SHA512 should be provided bseside a .asc file. You can
> easily add the sha256/512 signatures to the existing dist directory with
> the following command :
>
> gpg -v --default-key "<public key>" --print-md SHA256 "<file to sign>" >
> "<file to sign>".sha256
>
> Same thing with 512.

OK

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> - I had a bit of hard time checking the code against ApacheDS, because
> the INSTALL-xxx files are a bit outdated (typically, the number of
> successful tests is not what I get)

What we’ll do here is remove the literal number of tests, as that’s always
changing, as more tests are added.  The important thing — no failures.

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> , and on MacOSC, tomcat is not
> excatly installed as described
> (/usr/local/tomcat8/apache-tomcat-8.0.30/... instead of
> /usr/local/tomcat8/... as specified in the doco). Also the permissions
> have to be set carefully (root vs user).

Confused by this one.  here are the instructions from ApacheDS & Fortress
QUICKSTART:

## SECTION 5. Apache Tomcat Setup
1. Download and prepare the package:

wget http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-8...
tar -xvf apache-tomcat-8.0.30.tar.gz
sudo mv apache-tomcat-8.0.30 /usr/local/tomcat8
*** end ***

Not sure why on a Mac (in Bash) the mv command appends distro name to the path
and not in Linux.  Will have to tst it, before I understand.  The preqeqs don’t
claim support for macos, but of course it *should* work, and no reason not too
fix inconsistencies.

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think those INSTALL documents are of great values, but we might want
> to simplify them - there are a LOT of manual commands to type, with the
> risk of missing one - by providing a batch that does the job. It might
> be wishfull thinking though ;-)

Yep, these docs need some love for sure.  Thanks for the taking the time to
explain your findings Emmanuel.  Much appreciated, we’ll put it to good use.

— Shawn