Hi Andrea, Clinton, Marcus,

Thanks for positive opinions about the mockup!

tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote:
What do you think of this mockup?

On 2011/04/26 23:01, Marcus Lange wrote:
great. :-) Would be indeed a big step forward to avoid offering download links
that don't have an existing file behind it - as Andrea already said.

A user chooses Product, Version, OS, Architecture, Type, JRE, Language and get
links to download desired files.

Just to avoid any misunderstandigs. This mockup is to improve the green
download button, right?

Marcus, you can cook the mockup in any way you want!

To be honest I would limit the choices for the average user . I'm sure too many choices
are not good for the average user and would lead to too much confusion. I especially
think of the question "Should I choose OOo-Dev or OpenOffice.org from the list? What
is the difference?" ;-)

Yes, you can limit files by means of
 a) excluding unwanted files from the list file.
 b) putting desired choices <select><option> only in the HTML file.
 c) something else.

So, I think a choice of OS+Arch (combined) and language is enough.

Yep, any choice could be okay.

It's not yet important but would like to mention it. Instead of the ISO codes
for the languages I would write the English and native names.

I agree.

I would build keep the stable builds separated from the Beta, RC, and Dev
Builds and pre-defined choices on the respective webpages. Just to keep it as
simple as possible for the user. Then you can skip the Product choice.

Either way:
 a) a single list file shared by individual web pages in which there are
respective choices, such as Beta, RC, Dev Builds, ...

 b) divided a entire list files into individual list files and prepare
corresponding web pages for Beta, RC, Dev Builds, ...

The Version choice is not necessary as normally there is only a single version
existing per OS+Arch and language combination. Atr least this should be the
goal. Older builds are accessible in the archive.

A little bit objection.

In reality, some users, like my clients, still use 2.4.x for some reasons.

I would like to create a similar web interface that covers all files from
legacy one to the latest one.

Actually, there are some demands to download older versions of OpenOffice.org
for some reasons. e.g. To avoid a regression bug in the latest one, use
slightly older one.

For the front web page, we would not need to provide such a web interface. A
web page for the latest one is enough. But there should be somewhere a link to
a web page for the older versions.

After the user has made his choise and the final choice would be to select a
build wJRE or nonJRE I would prefer wJRE as IMHO this offers the most complete
and integrated package.

Any way you want.

E.g., on the other.html webpage you could then offer both builds.

Demonstration
http://tora-japan.com/tools/javascript/ooo-webpage-download-openoffice.org/mockup-01/mockup-01.html

Source code
https://bitbucket.org/tora/tools/src/tip/javascript/ooo-webpage-download-openoffice.org/mockup-01/

All that maintainers do is, in short, to create a text file containing file
paths.

I'm sure it would be simple to produce an ASCII file list on the Mirrorbrain
host. The JS could than process this list as it is always up-to-date.

Well, I don't feel the necessity of MirrorBrain host for the creation of an
ASCII file list.

To create the file,

 Method 1: ('rsync' to the primary mirror server after you have completed
uploading new files to it and/or removing obsolete files from it)

  $ rsync -r rsync://xxx/yyy/ | awk '/^-/ {print $NF}' | sort > ls.txt

 Method 2: ('find' in the original file server in which being-uploaded files
reside)

  $ ls
  contrib    developer  du.list    extended   localized  packages   stable

  $ find * -type f | sort > ls.txt

Unfortunately, JavaScript has a limitation for security reasons. Generally
speaking, it is not able to access to the host whose domain name is different
from the web page in which the JavaScript is running.

e.g. JavaScript running in the web page http://download.openoffice.org/...
cannot access to other web site, such as
http://download.services.openoffice.org/...

Finally, I think a great mockup with big potenzial to become reality. :-)

Sure! In combination with your little testpage we will certainly achieve a big
success, I think, too.
http://download.openoffice.org/test/index_grey_button_mla.html

Best regards,
Tora