On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 13:05 +0100, Martina Waller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, I analyzed the documentation of several competitors (Microsoft
> Office, WordPerfect Office, SoftMaker Office, GNOME Office and KOffice).
> Underlying analysis criteria were languages, documentation types
> (printed and online), search functions, information types,
> visualization, navigation and organization of the contents. In the end,
> I wanted to give some recommendations for OpenOffice/StarOffice.
>
> With respect to search functions for example I would recommend to
> - use more indices in printed material,

Good idea. We had an indexer but she had to give up the task
unfortunately for OOo User Guide and we are searching for someone else
to take on the task. You?

> and in the help
> - create an application specific contents tab,

Please explain. Help usually presents help specific to the open
application. e.g. if you are in writer you get writer help. So we need
to know how you would like to change this feature.

> - allow search for similar words,

This needs explaining too. Entering, say lin, in the search box
currently presents help items that start with this sequence thus giving
users the opportunity to select further.

> - repair the full text search,

Repair?  Enhance sure sounds good. Have you filed an issue in Issue
Tracker for this?

> - combine index and full text search into one search box.
>
> I would like to discuss the recommendations and some open questions with
> you. So, if someone is interested in the full analysis document please
> let me know. I would then send it as an attachment to your personal
> email address.  Or does anyone know a site where I can put it  so that
> everyone interested in the subject can download it?

I think that your idea about indexing is good and I agree but the
project needs to recruit someone with indexing skills. Can you help?

WRT, help enhancements, you might like to subscribe to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] where the Sun help team address
and answer questions such as yours. You already have one answer in this
list. To do so send an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] otherwise your
messages are moderated.

--