Hi Alex,

Well there's a discussion ongoing in the French NLC doc project, because
as you can imagine, following a schema that you have outlined here would
require us to change a lot. Unfortunately, there appears to be no
general consensus as yet.

One of the fears is that a French lambda user, who couldn't care less
about docs in other languages, would find themselves faced with lots of
links leading nowhere, or to a document in English only, and thus would
lose interest in the doc site as a valuable source of information. While
I don't share this fear,  I can understand it. I imagine that it could
be very frustrating indeed.

Another point made was that such a schema would automatically make all
our docs redundant overnight, since we would be forced to rewrite
everything to conform to a given baseline documentation, no doubt
written in English. I tend to disagree here too. I think that the whole
point of setting up a system like the wiki for the doc project is to
allow for creativity from the various language groups to become visible
in a single place, thereby furthering exchanges with other groups and
stimulating people to translate the work of others. It recognizes that
each language culture has its specificities, including the way in which
computer software is used. For example, in Europe, we have different
constraints for billing and invoicing (European Directives) than those
used in the US (and no doubt elsewhere). This means that any
documentation about say, the report generator, or Base module, that
expounds on a billing system, would have to be adapted to suit each
country's or region's own requirements. The French NLC doc project has
created some general user documentation, of course, but some of it  also
reflects the way French people think in general, or are taught to think
in school ("cartesian" thinking). This tends to display itself more in
the way the documentation is written, than in actual content. I remember
one of my former French bosses telling me that he couldn't understand
how my thought processes worked because I wasn't "cartesian" enough, yet
I came to much the same conclusions in my writings as he did :-) It also
makes for a bit of a nightmare when you have to translate things from
French to English, and I've been doing this now for nearly 20 years !!!

The idea is that the wiki approach allows for exactly that. The FR
community can decide how to localize the start page, for example, and
if and how to localize any given English documentation. Since it's
topic-based (not paragraph-based, like the current help localization
framework) it would allow for any freedom to actually localize a topic
into language *and* cultural context.

There could be as many French pages that have no English counterparts
or vice versa. As long as a user stays in one language track and the
localizer of a page makes sure that all links in a page are valid
(and not just translates the text including links to English docs)
she would not stumble over untranslated documents. You would just
notice that there is no English (oer Italian or German) page to a
given French page and then, as a localizer, decide if it's worth to
have one.

Frank

--
Frank Peters