Uwe Fischer wrote:
I thought it is easy if you follow the Help from top down - but obviously I must rework that Help page.

The instructions are easy to follow, but they don't give the reader any idea what's really going on. Perhaps most people don't care, but some (like me) do want to understand.

For example, here's part of a sentence from the help:
"If you have loaded an HTML document with the Web Page Query filter as the source document..."

Er... how do I "load a doc with the WPQ filter"? Do I simply choose that as a file type in the Open dialog? Or does something else need to be done?

this filter is mentioned some paragraphs above in the same Help page. It is used automatically if you enter an http URL in the External Data dialog box.

The help did not say it was automatic in that situation. That's one of the problems: background knowledge is assumed.

The webQuery inserts the data from the external table cells into your
Calc doc. The link is live and dynamic.

One web page I tested had 20+ tables, of which I wanted only one. Working out which one to choose from the list took me awhile. It was easy once I figured out the trick, but not at all obvious before that.

An example, with illustrations or HTML samples, might help me get the concept. I suspect it's quite easy and obvious once one understands it!

sure, would be nice to have some illustrations. May be on a Wiki page?

I have just written a web page, with illustrations.
http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?page_id=633

Would be good if you check it to see if I made any mistakes. (It's also now part of a draft chapter of the Calc Guide and will appear on the OOo wiki when I get a chance to upload it. It's probably a lot more detailed than relevant for the help, but a few sentences could probably be reused in the help.)

--Jean