On 08/27/09 02:54, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
Gary Schnabl wrote:
Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
This is a classic example of how users won't find what they need in the help or the user guides if they don't know what to look for, or are looking for the wrong thing.

This person probably came from Word, where sections are used in the way page styles are in Writer, and hasn't learned the difference (a common problem), so he needs to study the info that Uwe points to in his note, plus other info on page styles.

I think there is a bit in the user guide about the Word-Writer differences regarding sections and page styles, but it may need cross-referencing from other places, especially on the wiki.

I'll add this to my to-do list of improvements to the Writer Guide. I'm getting quite a collection, while doing some other work.

--Jean

True, sections are used in Word for page formatting--those segments having multi-columns, perhaps, or having the sections start at a left or right page. OOo would use custom page styles for that, and Adobe FrameMaker would use master-page and body-page formatting to achieve their page formatting. In addition, FrameMaker uses a flow concept, where more than one flow of page formatting exists--such as used in magazines where articles are interrupted and continued again, further into the document.

It would be fairly difficult to cover much of those specialized page formatting techniques in any detail in a beginning-to-intermediate-level user guide. Specific tutorials or in-depth books usually cover those topics.

I don't think more detail than is already there is necessary, but what people do need is to be able to find the info they need. If they are thinking in terms of Word's "sections", they may not discover that what they want is "page styles" -- especially since Writer has something called "sections" that are for a different purpose. From my reading, this is a very common topic of confusion for former
Word users. I have just added brief notes on this to some wiki pages.

This is a good example of the things I'd like to see summarised on a wiki page for Word users. Similar pages for users of FrameMaker, Word Perfect, and other progams would be good, too. All of that, of course, depends on contributions from people who know those programs. (Note to self: add need for these pointer pages to the list of topics on one of the pages for contributors.)

--Jean

I'll add a pair of "Microsoft Word: Sections -- OOo: Page Styles" to the Help at index "Microsoft Office;feature comparisons".

Did not know Word so good that I recognized that this may be a problem for some users.

Uwe
--
  u...@openoffice.org  -  Technical Writer
  StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany