On 02/03/10 14:43, Claire Wood wrote:
Hi, my name is Claire and I'm retraining as a technical author following a
career break to care for a loved one.

I have 5 years documentation experience and am looking at upgrading my skill
set.

I'd love to contribute to the documentation side of things and the FAQ's and
thus build up my portfolio.

Would love some guidance about where to start.

Yours sincerely

Claire Wood

Hi Claire

Welcome to the Documentation Project at OpenOffice.org :-)

There are many areas where your help would be most welcome. To get you started, you can take a look at the Documentation Wiki at http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation There you will find most of the documentation that we have available for OpenOffice.org.

The quickest and easiest place to get started is right there on the Wiki. You only need to create a user account there (if you haven't already got one) and dive in. Reviewing and editing the existing docs is where a lot of new team members get started. It gives you a feel for what the documents are like, and what we are trying to achieve.

From there, you can transition to actually working on the core documents.

Right now there is a lot of effort being put into updating the User Guides for the OpenOffice.org 3.2 release. The highest priority is the Writer Guide.

On the FAQ side of things, those are all on the Wiki at: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ If you'd like to work on that side of things, they can all also use an edit and a fresh pair of eyes looking them over. Many of the answers to the FAQs are out of date, and need to be brought in line with the upcoming 3.2 release.

So, lots to do, you only have to pick the part that interests you and dive in. Please use this mailing list to ask questions, and just chat with the team, and let us know what part you're interested in.. maybe there is someone already working on it and they would definitely welcome the assistance.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccorn...@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead