Hi, Claire,
What a marvelous job!

On 2/20/2010 18:29, Claire Wood wrote:
Hi Clayton

I had a go at the API/Calc document on the Documentation/Needs Rework
part of the wiki whilst the Oooauthors site was down tonight.

See the following link:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Calc/API/Programming

I corrected the grammar and some of the wording as you suggested but
as you can appreciate, as it has been some years since I documented
anything at API level, I may have used the wrong wording in some
places.  For example I have used the term "variable" which might not
make sense in the context that it has been used.

If someone can take a look at this page at some point and give me some
feedback, I'd be appreciative.

Kind regards

Claire

I looked at all your changes. You've really cleared out the underbrush; it's a big, big improvement.

To answer your specific question, "Object" and "Any" are /types/ so "type" might be clearer than "variable".

The big problem I see with this humongous page is that it should be broken into about five smaller ones, as a look at the TOC itself suggests. Maybe Intro + link farm + "See also" as the opening page, plus pages for "finding and inside a cell" (big page, here), "Cell Ranges", DevGuide translation, "Listeners", and "Graphics". I am putting this out for feedback; maybe somebody has objections, or a better idea.

Technical problem: I strongly suspect that those references to "SDK 1.1" should read something like, "SDK 3.2" now. However, I am totally unfamiliar with the Software Development Kit, as of yet.

Wiki tech: this page makes no use of the <tt>...</tt> feature, for marking embedded words and phrases of code. (As a user, I find it very helpful. It also eliminates some quotation marks.) Because the editor is not equipped with the suitable button, I find it easier to copy the wiki text to a Writer document, where I have written the proper macro to handle the bracketing of a selected piece of text. I will do that, after the "breakup" question is decided; no rush.

Again, thanks for the good work!
--
/tj/

T. J. Frazier