On 2/22/10 8:46 AM, Clayton wrote:
On 02/21/2010 09:26 PM, Claire Wood wrote:
Clayton

I did the grammar check on the Calc/API page on the Wiki and had some
feedback from TJ.  I read the spreadsheet link you sent me below and I
must admit it's totally over my head at this point, as I've only been
with the project since 29 January.  I'd need some guidance as to what
sections should go together and how to go about merging the two
documents because I don't want to lose the accuracy because otherwise
I think developers would get a tad upset with me (lol).  I am keen
though to help clean up any areas that need it as I need the
experience.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Spreadsheets/Spreadsheet_Documents

I'm not 100% sure how to go about merging the sections either.  What we
can do is ask one of the developer leads (Jeurgen) and see what he
thinks - he will probably be the best judge whether it's possible or
practical to merge the sections, and may have some advice as well.

Even if it ends up not being practical to merge the info, the work you
did on cleaning up the Calc pages is great!

Let me explain the main idea and initial structure of the DevGuide in relation to other useful wiki pages/guides.

The main idea was to create a reference documentation for developers, authors with technical background and experienced users. The Devguide as basis for additional developer documentation like the Basic Guide or the C++ section in the wiki where the page you have referenced belongs to.

The DevGuide is structured or should be structured to explain basic UNO knowledge as well as more detailed core knowledge of our component model. This base UNO stuff covers language specific sections for C++, Basic etc. But the main part of the DevGuide explains API concepts and general APIs split into different chapters. Ideally all the concepts are explained in detail and are linked to an example (part of the SDK). We agreed initially to focus on only one language (Java) for the examples to make it easy to follow.

I think it make sense to focus on one example language and reference to additional guides/books where other languages are covered mainly. The API concepts are always the same and can be adapted hopefully easy. But it makes of course sense to have these other guides like the Basic guide to focus on completely different user groups and explain the API usage in a slightly different way and more appropriate for these user groups.

The C++ section in the wiki is a very good reference and collection of useful pages for C++ developers. Maybe we can use this stuff and can create a even better structured C++ Developers guide. Such a guide would be a perfect reference for developers who want to dive a little deeper into our huge C++ code base.

Juergen