Nino Novak wrote:
Hi,

sorry for crossposting, but i could not decide which list fits better. As there will always be a time gap for the User Guide translations, I thought of putting links (i.e. written URLs) into some of the translations (pointing to the appropriate english UG Chapters). Which URL would you suggest as best practice? My personal preference is single-chapter PDF. I found them on two places (in this example, it's App. B of GS3): 1) on oooautors: http://www.oooauthors.org/english/userguide3/gs3/V32_published/0116GS3-OOoBackground.pdf/at_download/file

2) in the wiki:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/9/9c/0116GS3-OOoBackground.pdf

Any other/better places/ideas? Would it be better to take the whole-book version? Which link has the best chance to be kept most actual in the mid range time frame? The problem with both seems to be, that the links point to the physical location of the document and not to a generic place, where the most actual version of the document can be replaced "silently" without changing the link.

Please use the second link (the one on the wiki). We want to encourage people to use the Docs wiki as their first choice for obtaining info. The OOoAuthors website is where the user guides are created; the wiki is the main place for making them available to users.

Both of those links can be updated "silently" by replacing the existing files with new ones. I've already done it more than once.

I do not recommend pointing to the whole-book version, for several reasons: 1) The chapter files are often more up to date with corrections to minor errors like bad x-refs. 2) The whole book is a relatively large file, which could be a problem for people on slower connections.
3) The chapter files do not have the annoying watermark.

--Jean