Hello,

In DPDK when we use mmap why are we passing the MAP_FIXED flag when Linux man
page itself says that the option is discouraged? Any specific reason for
passing the MAP_FIXED flag?

http://linux.die.net/man/2/mmap

MAP_FIXED
Don't interpret addr as a hint: place the mapping at exactly that address. addr
must be a multiple of the page size. If the memory region specified by addr and
len overlaps pages of any existing mapping(s), then the overlapped part of the
existing mapping(s) will be discarded. If the specified address cannot be used,
mmap() will fail. Because requiring a fixed address for a mapping is less
portable, the use of this option is discouraged.

Regards
Suyash Karmarkar