Ideally, our master branch should always be good and stable, but given reality
often interferes with such good intentions I think that having dev branches is
not a bad idea. However, what we may lose by doing so is having a larger group
of people constantly using the master branch and reporting problems to us.

On balance, I'd be slightly in favour of this suggestion.

/Bruce