Hi Stephen,

> The VFIO_PRESENT #define was a landmine and we hit it.
> The DPDK has a config system and it should be used rather than silently
> dropping a feature during build only to have it fail at run time.
>
> If VFIO is configured, and the kernel headers are not present the build
> should fail. Rather than leaving developers puzzling why the build system
> (with old kernel headers) produced non functioning DPDK and their system
> (with new kernel headers) produced correctly working DPDK.
>
> As a matter of policy, really no code should be looking at <linux/version.h>
> except for kernel drivers with compat files.

In theory, I agree with you. In practice however, this change will
unconditionally break builds on pre-VFIO kernels (<3.6). This may be OK now,
but wasn't OK at the time it was developed because pre-VFIO kernels were still
very much prevalent. AFAIK, VFIO is enabled by default, so maybe we should
disable it in the default configs?

Thanks,
Anatoly