On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 4:16 PM Thomas Monjalon <tho...@monjalon.net> wrote:

> 26/06/2020 12:35, Jerin Jacob:
> > On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:59 AM Thomas Monjalon <tho...@monjalon.net>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > 25/06/2020 19:55, Jerin Jacob:

> > > Sampling is a partial mirroring.
> >
> > I think, By definition, _sampling_ is the _selection_ of items from a
> > specific group.
> > I think, _sampling_ is not dictating, what is the real action for the
> > "selected"  items.
> > One can get confused with the selected ones can be for forward, drop
> > any other action.
>
> I see. Good design question (I will let others reply).
>
> > So IMO, explicit mirror keyword usage makes it is clear.
> >
> > Some more related questions:
> > 1) What is the real use case for ratio? I am not against adding a
> > ratio attribute if the MLX hardware supports it. It will be good to
> > know the use case from the application perspective? And what basics
> > application set ratio != 1?
>
> If I understand well, some applications want to check,
> by picking random packets, that the processing is not failing.

Not clear to me. I will wait for another explanation if any.
In what basics application set .1 vs .8?

> > 2) If it is for "rate-limiting" or "policing", why not use rte_mtr
> > object (rte_mtr.h) via rte_flow action.
> > 3) One of the issue for driver developers and application writers are
> > overlapping APIs. This would overlap with rte_eth_mirror_rule_set()
> > API.
> >
> > Can we deprecate rte_eth_mirror_rule_set() API? It will be a pain for
> > all to have overlapping APIs. We have not fixed the VLAN filter API
> > overlap with rte_flow in ethdev. Its being TODO for multiple releases
> > now.
>
> Ooooooooh yes!
> I think flow-based API is more powerful, and should deprecate
> old port-based API.

+1 from me.

it is taking too much effort and time to make support duplicate APIs.

> I want to help deprecating such API in 20.11 if possible.

Please start that discussion. In this case, it is clear API overlap
with rte_eth_mirror_rule_set().
We should not have two separate paths for the same function in the
same ethdev library.