David Marchand <david.march...@redhat.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 2:33 PM Thomas Monjalon <tho...@monjalon.net> wrote:
>> > Yes that may break the ABI but fortunately the checking-abi-compatibility
>> > tool shows negative :) , thanks Ferruh' s guide.
>> > https://github.com/ferruhy/dpdk/actions/runs/468859673
>>
>> That's very strange. An enum value is changed.
>> Why it is not flagged by libabigail?
>
> I suspect this is because the enum is not referenced in any object...
> all I see is an integer with a comment that it should be filled with
> values from the enum.

I am not sure about the full context but David is right in theory.

If the enum is not reachable from a publically exported interface
(function or global variable) then it won't we considered as being part
of the ABI and changes to that enum won't be reported.

I am not sure if that is what is happening in this particular case,
though.

Cheers,

--
                Dodji