Hi,

As discussed today in the techboard meeting, KNI has probably
better alternatives today without using an out-of-tree module.
Virtio-user is a good candidate to replace KNI.
What is the performance of TAP?
Is there a way to leverage af_packet, af_xdp, or even pcap interfaces?

In order to avoid using the KNI out-of-tree module,
we should make the librte_kni compatible with an other interface.
The big plan is then to move the KNI module out of the main DPDK repo,
as we did for igb_uio.

The first step of this plan might be to document pros & cons
of the KNI alternatives inside the KNI documentation:
        https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/kernel_nic_interface.html

As a start, this doc should be better referenced:
        https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/howto/virtio_user_as_exceptional_path.html

Note: I won't do this update myself, so feel free to step up!
Thanks