07/03/2022 17:07, Michael Baum:
> On 3/3/2022 2:57 PM, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > This is too much mlx5 specific addition, and I don't think it is good to
> > extend
> > testpmd with PMD specific code.
> > If we enable it, sure there will be other vendors willing to do the same,
> > making testpmd even messier.
>
> Hi Ferruh,
>
> It is mlx5 PMD specific API, which enables to import device from remote
> process.
> This extension is the way to test this API, you can see a lot of PMD specific
> APIs along testpmd files.
>
> If one day, other vendors want to import devargs from remote process, they
> will remove the mlx5 build time dependency and use it.
>
> > I don't know what those ``cmd_fd`` and ``pd_handle`` (that read from
> > provided socket), but can they be read from some other script and feed to
> > testpmd, like a python wrapper etc...

I agree with Ferruh that it's a lot of code only for mlx5.
Yes we are already calling other PMD-specific API in testpmd
but we should try to keep it as small as possible.
I propose to try a rework to make it easier to digest.
As a consequence, we won't have this testpmd feature in 22.03,
and we can work together for the next release.