<snip>

I would say it depends. In this case the cycles consumed by the API are very
less and configuration data is very small and is already in the cache as PMD
has accessed the same data structure.

If the configuration needs more cycles than a typical (depending on the
application) data plane packet processing needs or brings in enormous amount of
data in to the cache, it should not be done on the data plane.

> Also, l3fwd is often used for benchmarking, and this small piece of code in
> the
> fast path will affect benchmark results (although only very little).
We do not see any impact on the performance numbers. The reason for putting in
the data plane was it covers wider use case in this L3fwd application. If the
app were to be simple, the configuration could be done from the control plane.
Unfortunately, the performance of L3fwd application matters.