Since this topic keeps coming up in other threads I'll chime in with my
$0.01 here.  We've been using CentOS 7 for awhile (and working on migrating
off) but have had to leverage devtoolset/llvmtoolset for various reasons.
I remember a discussion of installing a different compiler coming up but
don't remember which thread that was in/what the outcome was.  While I'd
like to just brush over C7 and say there is a compatible compiler available
so just make the change I also realize that making that change could be
quite disruptive to existing code bases.

However, the 22.11 LTS will be EOL in Nov 2024.  CentOS 7 is EOL Jun 2024.
For the 23.x series and going forward I don't think starting with a C11
requirement is an unreasonable ask.