On Fri, 9 Oct 2026, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Applied to next-net.
>
> I wonder if the eeprom really belongs in its on library, really it is not
> part of standard ethdev.

Thanks, Stephen.

Agreed, the decoder does not need a device: it only parses a buffer
and works without EAL. Only rte_eth_dev_get_module_eeprom() and the
telemetry command are really ethdev.

If Thomas and Andrew are fine with it, I can send an RFC for 27.03
moving the SFF decoders into a small library with its own API, with
the ethdev telemetry command on top of it. rte_eth_module_eeprom_parse()
is experimental, so it can stay as a thin wrapper or be removed.
A separate library would also be the place for CMIS (QSFP-DD, OSFP)
decoding later, which does not fit the SFF naming, so a neutral name
like lib/xcvr may be better than lib/sff.

I am willing to maintain this library.

Reply via email to