Thanks Tim for the interesting inputs.
Some of them may require a dedicated thread to continue the discussion
based on some preliminary specifications or drafts.

2016-10-10 16:13, O'Driscoll, Tim:
> Elastic Flow Distributor: The Elastic Flow Distributor (EFD) is a flow-based
> load balancing library which scales linearly for both lookup and insert with
> the number of threads or cores.  EFD lookup uses a "perfect hashing" scheme
> where only the information needed to compute a key's value (and not the key
> itself) is stored in the lookup table, thus reducing CPU cache storage
> requirements.

What is the scope of this library? Just apply rte_hash to a flow table?
Or is it also sending the packets in some queues?
Does it depend of librte_distributor?

> Extended Stats (Latency and Bit Rate Statistics): Enhance the Extended NIC
> Stats (Xstats) implementation to support the collection and reporting of
> latency and bit rate measurements. Latency statistics will include min, max
> and average latency, and jitter. Bit rate statistics will include peak and
> average bit rate aggregated over a user-defined time period. This will be
> implemented for IXGBE and I40E.

Are they retrieved from hardware or just computed in software?
Could we have some drivers hook to compute them in a generic layer?

> Run-Time Configuration of Packet Type (PTYPE) for I40E: At the moment all
> packet types in DPDK are statically defined. This makes impossible to add new
> values without first defining them statically and then recompiling DPDK. The
> ability to configure packet types at run time will be added for I40E.

The packet types are part of the API.
Although not yet convinced by the packet types, I do not understand how
to benefit from some run-time defined packet types.

> Packet Distributor Enhancements: Enhancements will be made to the Packet
> Distributor library to improve performance:
> 1. Introduce burst functionality to allow batches of packets to be sent to
> workers.
> 2. Improve the performance of the flow/core affinity through the use of
> SSE/AVX instructions.

The packet distributor looks more and more like a DPDK application
at the same level of BESS, VPP, OVS, etc.

> Add MACsec for IXGBE: MACsec support will be added for IXGBE. Ethdev API
> primitives will be added to create/delete/enable/disable SC/SA, Next_PN etc.
> similar to those used in Linux for the macsec_ops. Sample apps (l3fwd,
> testpmd, etc.) will be updated to support MACsec for the IXGBE.

How the ethdev interface and the cryptodev capabilities will be linked for
MACsec?

[...]
> Create Crypto Performance Test App: A new app, similar to testpmd, will be
> created to allow crypto performance to be tested using any crypto PMD and any
> supported crypto algorithm.

Good idea :)
When I read "testpmd", I tend to think that it could test any PMD,
including crypto. Are you saying that we should read dpdk-netdev-test?
And you would introduce dpdk-cryptodev-test?

[...]
> Optimize Vhost-User Performance for Large Packets: A new memory copy function
> optimized for core-to-core memory copy which will be added. This will be
> beneficial for virtualization cases involving large packets, but it can be
> used for other core-to-core cases as well.

Is it an enhancement of rte_memcpy or something else?

> Support New Device Types in Vhost-User: Support will be added to vhost-user
> for new device types including vhost-scsi and vhost-blk.

Great!
Is it only related to networking or should we expect some storage-related
code or drivers to come up?

> Interrupt Mode Support in Virtio PMD: Support for interrupt mode will be
> added to the virtio PMD.

I guess you mean Rx interrupt in virtio PMD to avoid 100% polling in the VM?

> Virtio-User as an Alternative Exception Path: Investigate the use of
> virtio-user and vhost-net as an alternative exception path to KNI that does
> not require out of tree drivers. This work is still at an experimental stage,
> so it may not be included in 17.02.

Interesting. Please share more details of the design you are thinking of.