On 09/08/2017 11:21 AM, Yuanhan Liu wrote:
On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 10:50:49AM +0200, Maxime Coquelin wrote:
+{
+       struct vhost_iotlb_entry *node, *temp_node;
+
+       rte_rwlock_write_lock(&vq->iotlb_lock);
+
+       TAILQ_FOREACH_SAFE(node, &vq->iotlb_list, next, temp_node) {
+               TAILQ_REMOVE(&vq->iotlb_list, node, next);
+               rte_mempool_put(vq->iotlb_pool, node);
+       }
+
+       rte_rwlock_write_unlock(&vq->iotlb_lock);
+}
+
+void vhost_user_iotlb_cache_insert(struct vhost_virtqueue *vq, uint64_t iova,
+                               uint64_t uaddr, uint64_t size, uint8_t perm)
+{
+       struct vhost_iotlb_entry *node, *new_node;
+       int ret;
+
+       ret = rte_mempool_get(vq->iotlb_pool, (void **)&new_node);
+       if (ret) {
+               RTE_LOG(ERR, VHOST_CONFIG, "IOTLB pool empty, invalidate
cache\n");

It's a cache, why not considering remove one to get space for new one?

It would mean having to track every lookups not to remove hot entries,
which would have an impact on performance.

You were removing all caches, how can we do worse than that? Even a
random evict would be better. Or, more simply, just to remove the
head or the tail?

I think removing head or tail could cause deadlocks.
For example it needs to translate from 0x0 to 0x2000, with page size
being 0x1000.

If cache is full, when inserting 0x1000-0x1fff, it will remove
0x0-0xfff, so a miss will be sent for 0x0-0xffff and 0x1000-0x1fff will
be remove at insert time, etc...

Okay, that means we can't simply remove the head or tail.

Note that we really need to size the cache large enough for performance
purpose, so having the cache full could be cause by either buggy or
malicious guest.

I agree. But for the malicious guest, it could lead to a DDOS attack:
assume it keeps vhost running out of cache and then vhost keeps printing
above message.

What I suggested was to evict one (by some polices) to get a space for
the new one we want to insert. Note that it won't be a performance issue,
IMO, due to we only do that when we run out of caches, which, according
to your sayings, should not happen in normal cases.

Ok, so let's randomly remove one entry. What about using something like:
rte_rand() % IOTLB_CACHE_SIZE

        --yliu

Moreover, the idea is to have the cache large enough, else you could
face packet drops due to random cache misses.

We might consider to improve it, but I consider it an optimization that
could be implemented later if needed.

+               vhost_user_iotlb_cache_remove_all(vq);
+               ret = rte_mempool_get(vq->iotlb_pool, (void **)&new_node);
+               if (ret) {
+                       RTE_LOG(ERR, VHOST_CONFIG, "IOTLB pool still empty,
failure\n");
+                       return;
+       }