> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:38 PM, Huertas García, Víctor <vhuer...@indra.es> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>

> This is my first post in this mailing list. I am glad to become a member of
> this community.
>

> I am a newbie using DPDK and I have tried to compile and execute an example
> app called "l3fwd-acl".
>

> The DPDK command is DPDK_Test -c 0xf0 -n 2 --socket-mem 64

ran this command as root or used sudo correct?

> but the application tells me the following:
>

> EAL: Detected 8 lcore(s)
> EAL: Probing VFIO support...
> EAL: VFIO support initialized
> EAL: Cannot obtain physical addresses: Success. Only vfio will function.
> EAL: Not enough memory available on socket 0! Requested: 64MB, available: 0MB
> EAL: FATAL: Cannot init memory
>
> EAL: Cannot init memory
>
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>  Cause: Invalid EAL parameters
>

> I don't know what else I can do to make this app run as I have reserved
> hugepages as the user guide tells as well as mounted the /mnt/huge folder.
>

> cat /proc/meminfo | grep Huge
> AnonHugePages:    520192 kB
> HugePages_Total:      64
> HugePages_Free:       64
> HugePages_Rsvd:        0
> HugePages_Surp:        0
> Hugepagesize:       2048 kB

I assume you added an entry into /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooted, just to make
sure the huge pages are allocated early in the boot process.

I use 1G huge pages and I assume you are using 2M huge pages

vm.nr_hugepages=32  # 32x2M is 64M

I also disable randomize_va_space, which is not required for those tests.

kernel.randomize_va_space=1

> My machine is has this topology (only one Numa node is detected):
>

> udo usertools/cpu_layout.py
> [sudo] password for root:
> Core and Socket Information (as reported by '/sys/devices/system/cpu')
>
> cores =  [0, 1, 2, 3]
> sockets =  [0, 1]
>
>       Socket 0    Socket 1
>       --------    --------
> Core 0 [0]         [4]
> Core 1 [1]         [5]
> Core 2 [2]         [6]
> Core 3 [3]         [7]

The CPU layout shows two sockets and normally that means 2 numa node.

I would change the command above —-socket-mem 32,32  (note: two ‘-‘ in front)
this command gives 32M socket 0 and 32M to socket 1

I have seen some funny memory configs, with huge pages if you do not use
/etc/sysctl.conf and reboot. Sometimes memory will be allocated to one socket.

I hope that helps.

> I have compiled the application using Eclipse IDE (g++) under an OpenSuse
> 42.3 Leap. Everything seemed to compile well and vfio-pci driver could be
> loaded on two NICs.
>
> So everything seems to be OK but I am totally stuck on this EAL
> initialization problem.
>

> I would appreciate it if some expert could shed a light on my problem.
>

> Thanks a lot!!
>

> ________________________________
>
> Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,
> contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su
> destinatario o destinatarios. Si no es vd. el destinatario indicado, queda
> notificado que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin
> autorización está prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. En el caso
> de haber recibido este correo electrónico por error, se ruega notificar
> inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenvío a la dirección electrónica
> del remitente.
> Evite imprimir este mensaje si no es estrictamente necesario.
>
> This email and any file attached to it (when applicable) contain(s)
> confidential information that is exclusively addressed to its recipient(s).
> If you are not the indicated recipient, you are informed that reading, using,
> disseminating and/or copying it without authorisation is forbidden in
> accordance with the legislation in effect. If you have received this email by
> mistake, please immediately notify the sender of the situation by resending
> it to their email address.
> Avoid printing this message if it is not absolutely necessary.

Regards,
Keith