Regarding what you call “JDBC storage plugin”. I’d call it a JDBC adapter.
Calcite has a JDBC adapter that tries to push down as much of the algebra tree
to a foreign database (this depends upon what the database is capable of), then
generates database-specific SQL for the tree that it had managed to push.

Drill’s requirements are exactly the same so it seems crazy to not start with
Calcite’s adapter.

Julian