I have always interpreted "contrib" as an experimental code which are
provided "as is"[1], not fully validated by the main project and possibly
has not reached the same maturity as the rest of the project.

It will help us in communicate the maturity of few plugins like hbase, hive
and mongo as such while accepting more user contributions say cassandra,
couchbase into Drill's code base.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7328852/what-are-apache-contrib-modules