Github user dsbos commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/113#issuecomment-131674681

    Hey, what happens (what is a caller supposed to do) if the caller receives
NOT_YET but the caller has no local work to do?

    (Re-calling next() immediately would yield a spin wait, so presumably we
avoid that if possible.

    A timed wait would involve a (probably) arbitrary time, so presumably we
avoid that if possible.

    (Delegating to the next-level caller by returning NOT_YET just devolves
back to this same question.)

    Is there another general option (general in the sense of callers and
callees that don't know anything about each other)?

    Or is it that NOT_YET is used only between pairs of callers and callee that
know enough about each other to coordinate somehow so they can avoid spin waits
and aribitrary delays?)

---
with INFRA.
---