+1
      From: Parth Chandra <par...@apache.org>
 To: dev@drill.apache.org
 Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 10:21 AM
 Subject: [DISCUSS] Design Documents

Hi guys,

Now that 1.2 is out I wanted to bring up the exciting topic of design
documents for Drill. As the project gets more contributors, we definitely
need to start documenting our designs and also allow for a more substantial
review process. In particular, we need to make sure that there is
sufficient time for comment as well as a time limit for comments so that
developers are not left stranded. It is understood that committers should
ensure they spend enough time in reviewing designs.

I can see some substantial improvements in the works (some may even have
pull requests for initial work) and I think that this is a good time to
make sure that the design is done and understood by all before we get too
far ahead with the implementation.

[1] is an example from Spark, though that might be asking for a lot.

[2] is an example from Drill - Hash Aggregation in Drill - This is an ideal
design document. It could be improved even further perhaps by adding some
implementation level details (for example parameters that could be used to
tune Hash aggregation) that could aid QA/documentation.

What do people think? Can we start enforcing the requirement to have
reviewed design docs before submitting pull requests for *advanced*
features?

Parth

[1] http://people.csail.mit.edu/matei/papers/2012/nsdi_spark.pdf
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12622804/DrillAggrs.pdf