I would think if we want to expose the timestamp field, we should add
another layer of nesting. In other words, every qualifier, which is
currently a single value, would actually be a map, which includes a value
field and timestamp field. Of course, we could also take it a step further
and expose versions as well, in which case each qualifier would be a
repeated map.

There's also the idea of using table functions to modify the table scan
using the API of the underlying storage if there is something that is not
easily expressed via SQL.