Problem with the above code is that not all vectors operate on root buffers
rendering the accounting above inaccurate. In fact your example is one
perfect instance where vectors would point to non-root buffers for sure
because of the slicing taking place at RecordBatchLoader#load [1]

1:
https://github.com/apache/drill/blob/master/exec/java-exec/src/main/java/org/apache/drill/exec/record/RecordBatchLoader.java#L117