Meeting notes - Hangout 3/8/2016

Parth, Aman, John O., Jason, Zelaine

- release

    - 4474 - incorect direct scans, MapR will run regression tests

    - Avro issues, one is ready, had a +1 there is just an update for a
related issue

        - the other one Jason was having an issue with repro

- Union type

    - Aman - what is needed to make union type complete

        - Steven could give the best answer for known shortcomings

        - Jason - I think mostly we just need more thorough testing

        - Aman - we need to go through all of the operators to update for

          schema change

            - Jason - Union type and handling schema change are really

             two separate issues, but we should discuss a path forward

             to making both work well in Drill

    - John - handling messy JSON better would be really useful for users

        - doesn't need to fix everything automatically, but giving a user
info

          about why something is failing and what the next step for getting

          further analysis is useful

- User experience - John O.

    - partial JSON records

    - JSON incosistent errors, sometimes not givng line numbers

        - Feature request, show the record that failed to parse

    - Just give users enough info so that they know what to fix

        - Drill can try to have good defaults about how to handle

          abmiguities, but making a user choose anytime Drill cannot

          be sure is fine

    - metadata cache issues

        - permissions issues with authentication