I think that there are a lot of good discussions and initial efforts for
larger system changes that would be easier to move forward with on a "dev"
branch. On top of the items listed so far, I think that we need to pick
back up your proposal on workload management and put that work here as well.

A bit of a more minor point, as we are the only current consumers of the
Java arrow code, I think it may be worth considering moving back to the old
names and packages for the Drill classes that we are trying to move to
Arrow. The code should still be moved out of the Drill repo, but this would
make applying patches to both of these branches a little easier. The proper
rename could happen very easily at Drill 2.0.

As a more general note on your follow up message, I would really like to
see more effort being put towards finalizing the union type feature. We
have been getting consistent requests for handling of JSON files (as well
as other formats) with changing types throughout the life of the project
and we are so close to being the best solution for this problem, that for
myself at least, it has been very frustrating that we haven't been able to
deliver a this as a clear cut feature. I will open a separate thread on
this discussion topic, I just wanted to include my extra push for inclusion
of this work on the branch.

Jason Altekruse
Software Engineer at Dremio
Apache Drill Committer