Thanks for the responses.. So, even if the drillbit that died wasn't the
foreman the query would fail? Interesting... Is there any mechanism for
reassigning fragments? *try harder* so to speak?  I guess does this play
out too if I have a query and say something on that node caused a fragment
to fail, that it could be tried somewhere else... So I am not trying to
recreate map reduce in Drill (although I am sorta asking about similar
features), but in a distributed environment, what is the cost to allow the
foremen to time out a fragment and try again elsewhere. Say there was a
heart beat sent back from the bits running a fragment, and if the heartbeat
and lack of results exceeded 10 seconds, have the foremen try again
somewhere else (up to X times configured by a setting).  I am just curious
here for my own knowledge what makes that hard in a system like Drill.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Abdel Hakim Deneche <adene...@maprtech.com