      From: Paul Rogers <prog...@maprtech.com>
 To: "dev@drill.apache.org" <dev@drill.apache.org>
 Sent: Monday, June 20, 2016 7:32 PM
 Subject: Re: Dynamic UDFs support

Hi Neeraja,

The proposal calls for the user to copy the jar file to each Drillbit node. The
jar would go into a new $DRILL_HOME/jars/3rdparty/udf directory.

In Drill-on-YARN (DoY), YARN is responsible for copying Drill code to each node
(which is good.) YARN puts that code in a location known only to YARN. Since
the location is private to YARN, the user can’t easily hunt down the location
in order to add the udf jar. Even if the user did find the location, the next
Drillbit to start would create a new copy of the Drill software, without the
udf jar.

Second, in DoY we have separated user files from Drill software. This makes it
much easier to distribute the software to each node: we give the Drill
distribution tar archive to YARN, and YARN copies it to each node and untars
the Drill files. We make a separate copy of the (far smaller) set of user
config files.

If the udf jar goes into a Drill folder ($DRILL_HOME/jars/3rdparty/udf), then
the user would have to rebuild the Drill tar file each time they add a udf jar.
When I tried this myself when building DoY, I found it to be slow and
error-prone.

So, the solution is to place the udf code in the new “site” directory:
$DRILL_SITE/jars. That’s what that is for. Then, let DoY automatically
distribute the code to every node. Perfect! Except that it does not work to
dynamically distribute code after Drill starts.

For DoY, the solution requirements are:

1. Distribute code using Drill itself, rather than manually copying jars to
(unknown) Drill directories.
2. Ensure the solution works even if another Drillbit is spun up later, and
uses the original Drill tar file.

I’m thinking we want to leverage DFS: place udf files into a well-known DFS
directory. Register the udf into, say, ZK. When a new Drillbit starts, it looks
for new udf jars in ZK, copies the file to a temporary location, and launches.
An existing Drill is notified of the change and does the same download process.
Clean-up is needed at some point to remove ZK entries if the udf jar becomes
statically available on the next launch. That needs more thought.

We’d still need the phases mentioned earlier to ensure consistency.

Suggestions anyone as to how to do this super simply & still get it to work
with DoY?

Thanks,

- Paul