My notes from the hangout with Arina and Paul -

Notes -

There are two invariants for the registration process -
1) There is a registration/validated directory in the DFS that contains
UDFS that have been validated by the registering foreman. All drillbits
will have access to this directory and on startup and/or UDF registration,
the jars in this directory are sync'd up with a local UDF directory
2) During the process of registration, the registering foreman creates a
Zookeeper node that indicates that one or more drillbits has not yet
registered the UDF.

The basic workflow is that UDF jars are copied from the staging directory
to the registration directory and validated. Once they are validated, the
available drillbits are told to register the UDF. Registering the UDF
consists of copying the node to a local UDF directory and updating the
local (in-memory) udf registry. A sentinel node in zookeeper is used to
track when all the drillbits have registered the UDF.

There were two main suggestions : Immediate registration and lazy
registration,

Immediate registration -
  Foreman tells all drillbits to register. Creates a Zookeeper node to
track.
  Every drillbit makes a local copy and updates zookeeper node to show it
is done.
  Foreman checks the zookeeper node and when all available drillbits have
acknowledged, sends a message to all drillbits to complete registration.
   Foreman removes ZK node.
   All Drillbits update their local UDF registry
   Drillbit startup will block if there is a ZK node indicating
registration is in progress.
   This approach needs to be validated to see if any race conditions exist.

Lazy registration
   Once a UDF is copied to the registration folder, the UDF is essentially
registered. On first use, a drillbit may hit a classnotfound exception in
which case it will look for the UDF in the registration directory. If
found, it will copy to the local directory and add the UDF to it's local
registry.
   This approach should be investigated to see if it fits in with the
current UDF execution code.