Github user paul-rogers commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/517

    Hi Dave,

    I agree that Drill Decimal support clearly needs attention. I'm
expermenting with adjusting the template code to at least generate a meaningful
conversion for all int x decimal types when the values fit.

    Looks like current behavior will be that if we convert an int that is too
large for a scale of 0, we won't adjust the scale. That is, if we always leave
scale=0, then we'll do the following obviously wrong converstion:

    big int: 123,456,789,012
    Dec 9: 456,789,012

    We want a scale of 3, so that the answer is:

    Dec 9: 123,456,789,000

    And, of course, we should round the least significant digit, which it seems
we don't do.

    So, our fix will work only for the simple case, not for the more complex
case.

    We could leverage your fix to properly set the scale as well as the
precision.

---
with INFRA.
---