Both the C++ and the JDBC changes are updates that leverage a number of
pre-existing APIs already on the server. Our initial evaluations, we have
already seen substantially improved BI tool performance with the proposed
changes (with no additional server side changes). Are you seeing something
different? If you haven't yet looked at the changes in that light, I
suggest you do.

If anything, I'm more concerned about client feature proposals that don't
cover both the C++ and Java client. For example, I think we should be
cautious about merging something like DRILL-4280. We should be cautious
about introducing new server APIs unless there is a concrete plan around
support in all clients.

So I agree with the spirit of your ask: change proposals should be
"complete". However, I don't think it reasonably applies to the changes
proposed by Laurent. His changes "complete" the already introduced metadata
and prepare apis the server exposes. It provides an improved BI user
experience. It also introduces unit tests in the C++ client, something that
was previously sorely missing.

--
Jacques Nadeau
CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio