Choosing a good property name should solve the confusion issue. Perhaps
drill.writer as the name.

The writer version is not needed if we feel that we’ll never again change the
writer or introduce bugs. Since that is hard to predict, adding a writer
version is very low cost insurance. Indeed, including a writer version is a
very common technique. The question we should answer is why we don’t need to
use this technique here…

One can imagine that, as we evolve from 1.x to the 2.1 (or later) format, we
may do so in fits and starts, perhaps based on community contributions. A
version will help us know what capabilities were supported in the writer that
wrote a particular file.

Thanks,

- Paul