Github user paul-rogers commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/701

    It seems that the concept of overloading, is, itself, ambiguous. If I
define a function `foo(long)`, but call it with an `int`, we won't get an exact
match, will we? So, on every call we'd have to check if there is a new, better,
match for `foo()` in the registry. This means a call to ZK for every function
in every query where we don't have an exact parameter match. My suspicion is
that this will be a performance issue, but we won't know until someone tests it.

    I wonder if we should do this fix incrementally. This PR is better than the
original, as it does handle overloads. After that, we can do a bit of
performance testing to see the impact of checking ZK for the version on every
overloaded method. Any performance improvement can be done as separate JIRA and
PR.

---
with INFRA.
---