Github user paul-rogers commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/936

    @arina-ielchiieva, my comments boil down to two points:

    1. What happens if UTF-8 support in Drill is disabled? Do we have
consistent handling of character data? Do we revert to ASCII? The character set
on the Drillbit? How is this reconciled with the character set on the Web and
the client?
    2. On the other hand, if Drill handles only UTF-8 (with bugs), does it make
sense to disable that support if the alternative is undefined or more broken
than the UTF-8 support?

    In short: shouldn't UTF-8 be the hard-coded by Drill when working with
Calcite to avoid these ambiguities?

---