Github user paul-rogers commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/1026

    On the two functions... Maybe just have one function that handles the
Nan/Infinity case. As noted earlier, no matter what we do, JSON without these
symbols will work. So, we need only consider JSON with the symbols. Either:

    * The NaN/Infinity cases always work, or
    * The NaN/Infinity cases work sometimes, fail others, depending on some
option or argument.

    I would vote for the first case: it is simpler. I just can't see how anyone
would use Drill to valid JSON and would want a query to fail if it contains NaN
or Infinity. Can you suggest a case where failing the query would be of help to
the user?

---