Github user arina-ielchiieva commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/1030

    @ppadma
    To create reader for each input split and maintain skip header / footer
functionality we need to know how many rows are in input split. Unfortunately,
input split does not hold such information, only number of bytes. [1] We can't
apply skip header functionality for the first input split and skip footer for
the last input either since we don't know how many rows will be skipped, it can
be the situation that we need to skip the whole first input split and partially
second.

    @paul-rogers
    To read from hive we actually use Hadoop reader [2, 3] so if I am not
mistaken unfortunately the described above approach can be applied.

    [1]
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.0/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/FileSplit.html
    [2]
https://github.com/apache/drill/blob/master/contrib/storage-hive/core/src/main/java/org/apache/drill/exec/store/hive/HiveAbstractReader.java#L234