Hi all,

Currently, Calcite fork with Drill-specific commits is placed in
https://github.com/mapr/incubator-calcite. Though it is a public
repository, it is problematic to provide writable access for most of the
cases.

Another more frequent problem is deploying new Drill-Calcite versions to
the maven repository (currently they are deployed to
http://repository.mapr.com/nexus/content/repositories/drill-optiq/). Only
several people have writable access for it, and there is no way to provide
it to more people, in particular committers and PMCs.

To resolve these problems, I propose to create a personal repository (I can
create it, here is a test version:
https://github.com/vvysotskyi/drill-calcite) and add all committers and
PMCs as collaborators to it.

To resolve the problem with deploys I propose to use https://jitpack.io, so
it will automatically deploy a newer version when it will be required.
The minor thing which should be mentioned - instead of *org.apache.calcite*
groupId will be used groupId for specific GitHub repo.

The following rules will be used to clarify the process:
- Push changes to the repository (including commit with bumping up the
version)
- Create a new tag for bumped-up version - tag name should match the
version, for example, *1.18.0-drill-r2* and push it to the remote repo
- Bump up version in Drill

Are there are any objections or ideas on this?

Kind regards,
Volodymyr Vysotskyi