Hi Charles,
Agree. I am reviewing a PR in which formatting was changed. Both the original
and revised formatting are fine, and each is often seen in open source
projects. But we really should settle on one style so we don't have each of us
reformatting code to our favorite styles.

Drill does have documented standards, [1], but they are out of date with
respect to the Checkstyle rules. The IntelliJ and Eclipse formatting templates
are out of date with respect to the style preferred by some team members (and,
it seems are inconsistent with the Checkstyle rules.) Not surprisingly, this
inconsistency leads to a bit of chaos and uncertainty.

Code formatting is a hassle and the "right" style is always what any one person
prefers. Still, might be worth while discussing and formalizing our current
preferences so we can update the format templates to match.

Perhaps each of us can toss out ideas for either a) the preferred formatting
not covered by Checkstyle, or b) where the format templates and Checkstyle
rules conflict.

Would we prefer to do that here, or via a JIRA ticket?

Thanks,
- Paul

[1] http://drill.apache.org/docs/apache-drill-contribution-guidelines/

    On Friday, August 16, 2019, 09:21:51 AM PDT, Charles Givre