I am trying to get back to this and finish it to a usable point.

I need to rebase on the latest drill then update to 3.8.0 daffodil.

Finishing it is however very little work I think. I just have no idea
how to do it, and need some help.

Paul Roger's suggestion is to just put DFDL schemas and data and
anything else needed (all dynamically loaded jars) into
$DRILL_CONFIG_DIR/lib as an initial version, because this is reachable
from all places drill would put the drill-bits and is on the class
path. This implies restarting drill to add a new DFDL schema, but
that's ok for a first version.

I am fine with that I just don't understand what that means for how
the code changes to access files in this location versus the way it
does now.

See this PR comment:
https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/2909#discussion_r1666968774

I also don't understand the implications of this $DRILL_CONFIG_DIR/lib
usage if there is parallelism. E.g, will a query be issued in parallel
with each drill-bit running daffodil and opening the same DFDL schema
(that's ok) and then opening the same data file (not ok).

Mike Beckerle
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org
Owl Cyber Defense | www.owlcyberdefense.com
Please note: Contributions to the DFDL Workgroup's email discussions
are subject to the OGF Intellectual Property Policy