Hi Dylan,

My feeling is that it is going to be challenging to add a layer of
indirection to the Kafka indexing stuff while maintaining its
exactly-onceness. The exactly-onceness is based around tracking the
specific Kafka offsets that are read by each task, and is tightly linked to
which partitions are assigned to which task. I think what you describe
would be doable, but it would add a lot of complexity to a code base that
is already pretty complex. If I were in your position I'd try
repartitioning the original Kafka topic into a second Kafka topic using a
good key. It doubles the traffic at Kafka but at least it's simple! It
follows a general rule of making Kafka do as much of the work as possible.

What do you think?